Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Mayhem

Well not really mayhem.  I remember when I was in high school, Valentines day was kind of a big deal.  It was important/exciting to get a rose or some chocolates and then get to flaunt it around the school so everyone could see that someone likes you all day.  Kinda shallow.  I never got anything from any secret Valentine during high school. Of course my parents always got us little gifts and my Dad was always sure to buy some flowers for my mom, sister and I.  But about 4 or 5 years ago, some one who was very important to me passed away on Valentines day.  I remember getting that phone call that morning and being very shocked. Ever since then, I haven't really felt the need to be showered with gifts on that day.  I know that my husband enjoys buying me gifts on special days.  So he was very disappointed when the UPS guy never showed up yesterday. When he got online to talk to me from Afghanistan he got an email that said that unfortunately his gift was not delivered to me.  He apologized to me. :) What a sweet heart, I would never be upset over something that silly. Yesterday, I got to go to my OB appointment and hear our baby's heart beat.  No amount of flowers will ever be better than that whoosh, whoosh, whoosh.  Our son is the best gift I could have ever asked for.  But since I know how important it was to him, I called FTD, the company he ordered my gift from.  I spent an hour on hold to learn that the UPS truck had a mechanical malfunction.  Ok, no big deal. So it should be delivered today.  As I got online I saw all of the other wives in our battalion (remember our hubby's are deployed) posting pictures and statues about how their hubbies sent them flowers and chocolates from Afghanistan.  It made me smile, it was just like high school.  Except since it would be weird to walk around on base with your Valentine's gift all day, they posted it on facebook.  I'm not saying its a bad thing, I am just pointing out how it is basically the same thing.  Its nice that the guys thought ahead of their wives.  Like I said, even if my hubby didn't give me anything I know how much he loves me everyday, not just on February 14th.  I just hope he knows those silly hallmark things dont get to me, we have something deeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment